Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Mist (2007)

Title: The Mist
Director: Frank Darabont
Writer: Frank Darabont, Stephen King
Starring: Thomas Jane, Andre Braugher, Laurie Holden, Amin Joseph, Marcia Gay Harden, Toby Jones
Studio: Dimension Films






I was extremely happy with the adaptation of 1408 earlier this year and The Mist was just as well done. I've been a Stephen King fan (or an "constant reader" as King himself calls us) since I was old enough to read a full novel. I read The Mist long ago as a novella in the Skeleton Crew short story collection. I remembered the basic story, but I didn't recall the details, so seeing the movie really brought back some great memories.

The movie opens with the main character drawing a movie poster of The Gunslinger from King's Dark Tower series. That's enough to get a movie dork like me excited, but this scene is followed by another two hours of great film. The interactions between the people trapped in the grocery story as the mist envelopes the town is just amazing. The dialogue is believable and it really makes some serious comments on society and religion. A horror movie with meaning, who would have thought?

This movie offers up both cheap scares and a thought provoking story. The ending is incredible and for those of you that have read the novella, the conclusion of the film expands on the written version's ending and it doesn't leave you hanging. Special effects could have been better for a big budget film, but I'm not really complaining. The scares are still there, and the story is classic King. This is a smart horror film that will bridge the generation gap, bring your parents, they'll like it too.


Favorite Quote:

Mrs. Carmody: I'll tell you what. The day I need a friend like you, I'll just have myself a little squat and shit one out.


RATING: 8/10



6 comments:

Ryne said...

I definitely thought the same thing. It was a smart movie with emotion and depth that really sucked me in. Yet I still hear that people didn't like it.

bobheske said...

I liked it too. Frank Darabont always seems to direct the best Stephen King adaptations.

BTW - My name is Bob Heske and I am the writer of a new vampire series from Studio 407 (www.studio-407.com) called THE NIGHT PROJECTIONIST.

Broken Frontier wrote about the comic: Heske’s Night Projectionist reads like 30 Days of Night in concept, but enhanced by a denser, more Stephen King-esque concentration of character and event.

I'd love to send a PDF of the comic for Screaming Horror Reviews to blog, discuss or just print the press release (which I'll be happy to provide).

You can preview NP01 here:

http://www.studio-407.com/comic.php?cmc_id=10

We are also having a contest to give away a free Night Projectionist T-shirt on the studio-407 website: studio-407.com, and that the book can be ordered through the studio 407 website or through Heavy Ink: http://heavyink.com/search?q=night+projectionist#openPreview.

Please contact me if I can be of any help - email: r_heske@msn.com.

Best,

Bob Heske
HESKE HORROR
www.coldbloodedchillers.com

Francesca Paolucci said...

Great blog!

Dain Binder said...

Christopher, you got this one spot on! I was slightly disappointed in the middle but the ending just blew me away.

7tavern admin said...

Hi,

We've browsed through your reviews and thought that they are really original and interesting! We would like to invite you to publish your reviews on 7tavern.com, which provides an alternative platform for promising movie reviewers to showcase their talents. In addition, you'll find a growing community of bloggers who share the same passion for excellent movies! Based on the merit of your reviews, we intend to offer you exclusive publishing privileges on our website!

Please feel free to contact us to discuss our proposal. =)

Cheers,
7tavern Team
admin@7tavern.com

Gruesome Hertzogg said...

The Mist ( 2007 )

Alot Of People Don't Like This Movie
But I Do Good Acting , Neat Creatures , Great Story Line , And One Hell Of A Ending

I Give It A 7 Out Of 10 Also